What you are describing is more or less the current workflow of the
gmail & email app:
- they download regularly your new mails in the background
- you do NOT see any notification nor toast whether emails were
retrieved or failed to or anything.
- you just get a status when you go back to the application itself.

Think about it:
- would I want to see a toast *each* time my cell is out of network? No.
- would I want the device to spend time (and battery) displaying a
toast when I'm not looking at it? No.

The point (a) you described is exactly where you would not want to
display a toast.
Instead on that kind of app I'd like to see a small status icon or
text that says: a/ failure to download, will retry in N minutes or b/
last time fetched N articles.

R/