The problem I have here is that after the setting is updated in the
configuration dialogue I need to dynamically update the current
display of all widgets, however since they are running as a pending
Intent from the Widget manager I cant see how I can get a notified
when the user has closed the settings dialogue, since as you say the
startActivity() call does not block my current pendingIntents
execution and there is no way for it to detect when the back button is
pressed.

Is it simply not possible to achieve in an activity launched via a
pending intent or am I just going about this the wrong way?

Thanks for all your help!

-James