I've answered my own question. Net result is the same, just a
different way of getting to the default theme resources, but it's what
I was missing.

Within your attrs.xml file, place a block that looks like the
following:

    <declare-styleable name="default_gallery">
        <attr name="android:galleryItemBackground" />
    </declare-styleable>

This basically provides access to the galleryItemBackground in the
same way as before, but explicitly making it a styleable now.

This is now used as before:

Within the ImageUriAdapter(), load the background:
                        TypedArray a =
obtainStyledAttributes(R.styleable.default_gallery);
                        mGalleryItemBackground = a.getResourceId(

R.styleable.default_gallery_android_galleryItemBackground, 0);
                        a.recycle();

Then, within the getView(), apply the background:

                        imageView.setBackgroundResource(mGalleryItemBackground);

I hope this helps someone.