No matter what I do I am unable to open a file, either in my app's
data directory or on the sdcard and also in a folder on the sdcard.
To test I placed a test.txt file in all three directories. Here is the
code I've tried:

                                        String fname = "text.txt";
                                        File rFile = new
File("/sdcard/mytestfolder/" + fname);

I also have tried this:

"file://"+Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()+"/test.txt"

along with all sorts of other ways of writing it.

When I do listfiles, I get the correct list of files set in an array.
I've even tried getting the list and filtering out a specific file and
try opening it that way and just trying the first item in the array.

Is there some security that may be set that is making it so I cant
open files? This is not the emulator, it is on a device.