Thanks Diane. We just fixed it. Seems like the moment you post to the
list in desperation, the answer appears. Wonderful magick.

Turns out our initialization is so crazy complicated we were
wait()-ing the UI thread (instead of the worker thread we thought we
were on) waiting for the service connection to fire. Well, not too
surprisingly, hanging the UI thread keeps stuff from happening....

Not sure what the best idiom is for insuring a service is up before
you proceed, but that's another (straightforward) problem.

-- Ward