Are you talking about the DDMS perspective or the standalone DDMS?

If you use eclipse, do not use the standalone DDMS program, use the
DDMS perspective from within Eclipse.
If you do that you do not need to manually select the program in the
DDMS process list, the Eclipse plugin can automatically stop at
breakpoints that you set in Eclipse. Just make sure you start your
session using one of the Run > Debug option (if you select Run > Run,
it won't stop on breakpoints.)

R/