I now have the TestInterface.aidl in both eclipse projects and project
2 (the service project) is added to project 1's build path.

I declared the service in the manifest-file with:

<service android:name=".TestStringService"
        android:exported="true"
        android:process=":remote">
        <intent-filter >
                <action android:name="de.roberlin.new_rpc.action.NEW_RPC"/>
        </intent-filter>
</service>

and "adb shell dumpsys package" shows it successfully registered to
the emulator.

I try to bind to the service with:

"String intentAction = "de.roberlin.new_rpc.action.NEW_RPC";
                        Intent iService = new Intent(intentAction);
bindService(iService, myService, Context.BIND_AUTO_CREATE);

DDMS won't stop telling me:

"05-17 14:14:34.285: WARN/ActivityManager(567): Unable to start
service Intent { action=de.roberlin.new_rpc.action.NEW_RPC }: not
found"

In fact, after running project 1 (the activity binding to the service)
and getting the error message, when I do

"adb shell dumpsys package"

again, it does not list my service anymore. how can this be???

the steps were:

1.) installing the service onto a new emulator ("adb shell dumpsys
package" lists it then correctly)

2.) installing/running project 1 (leads to the error message above)

3.) now "adb shell dumpsys package" does not list the service anymore.
even if i reinstall it, it won't be listed anymore until I start a new
emulator and intall it freshly.

I really do not know, how to deal with this and would be really
thankful for any help!!

best regards!