Hi.

In my ideal little dream world, I'd like to have a custom service
running that handles network comms. Activities (e.g. UIs) then add
listeners to it and it provides callbacks when anything interesting
happens.

As it stands, I can't see how to do this in an appropriate way. OK,
you can call bindService() and have a ServiceConnection implementation
that monitors the service state. From there you can easily talk *to*
the service whenever you desire, using serialisation over
transactions, but I don't think that helps with communication
initiated by the service.

The only way I know of doing what I want is by maintaining static
collections of listeners on the service class, which doesn't strike me
as good engineering.

I suspect I'm missing part of the puzzle - any clues?

Cheers,
Rob