I'm writing an app where the user needs to be able to read text in the
camera preview.  I've got the preview displaying alright, and the
camera has plenty of resolution to make out text at the range I want,
but the preview shows a scaled down version of the entire image.  I
would like to get the preview to display a subset of the image at
native resolution, but I'm having trouble getting it to work.  A quick
search of the mailing list suggests that trying to intercept and
manipulate the image through Camera.PreviewCallback.onPreviewFrame is
a bad approach so I ditched that.  I tried using the
Camera.Parameters.setPreviewSize, but it seems to have no effect
whatsoever (giving it (1, 1) is the same as giving it (1000000,
1000000), which is the same as giving it some rational value).  My
next thought is to mess around with the Canvas through the
SurfaceView's SurfaceHolder, but I don't see a callback that would let
me get access each time a frame is ready to display.  What would be
the best way to preview a subset of the camera preview at native
resolution?

Thanks
- Max