> OK Dianne, thank you for highlighting that the soft keyboard is not a
> software keyboard. For me that is a novel insight, as I had hoped and
> expected that the IME was (also, at the very least) meant to simply
> emulate a software keyboard.

Nope. Try using it in the contacts app to see the soft keyboard do
some interesting transformations .... it understands the format of
what you're typing in and will customize itself aggressively for that
type of input. It's really a lot more flexible than a standard
keyboard and only looks like a qwerty keyboard sometimes. Still, I
understand your confusion - hopefully the workarounds given help you
out.