On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Isaac Waller <ad...@isaacwaller.com> wrote:

> No, what you are supposed to do, is not return from onCreate until you
> are ready to show your GUI. I am not ready without these items. If it
> took, say, 2 or 3 seconds to load these items, maybe, but it takes a
> fraction of a second - the screen flashes 'LOADING' and then shows the
> items. It looks quite ugly.

So why do you flash 'LOADING'? If it's that fast, just don't show anything,
and it will look exactly the same as if you'd blocked the UI thread.

> And then there is the losing of scroll
> position and focus too.

There are several ways to address that, most of them trivial.
The fact of the matter is that you can't block the UI thread to wait for
the onServiceConnected() callback.