I have an app that communicates with a server.  While it is
communicating, it shows a progress dialog.  The way this actually
works is that I have a class that I call my NetworkGateway.  Each
method takes a Handler as a callback so that the gateway can send back
the response as a bundle when it has finished.

Right now when someone changes orientation while a network operation
is occuring, the activity doesn't know that a thread is running the
network code and then the callback might be invalid.

What's the right way to do this?  I want to make it so that after the
orientation switch, the activity can check something to see if a
network operation is running and if so, display the progress dialog
again and wait for the callback, or set itself as the callback handler
now, invalidating the old one.

My first guess is that this is exactly the kind of thing services were
designed for, but I'd like specifics if anyone can supply them.

Thanks!