So I was just reading a great overview of some of the IO happenings
written by Mark Murphy and posted over at http://androidguys.com/?p=5342
and was very intrigued by something... here is the relevant text

"Next, Romain moved into images, particularly backgrounds for widgets.
Backgrounds will always be fitted to the widget, and so Android may
have to scale your bitmap to fit the widget – however, scaling at
runtime is expensive. It is better, where possible to pre-scale the
image and use the scaled one in your layouts, rather than having
Android scale it on the fly. You can do this in Java code, via
Bitmap#createScaledBitmap(), and setting the widget background from
the cached scaled value."

>From my understanding this is basically saying you can figure out the
end size of your widget by reading values cached bitmap object, but I
have no idea where to get this object.

When I started working with widgets I spent a lot of time trying to
figure out the dimensions of the widget but figured it was a lost
cause because my understanding was that RemoteView gets inflated after
you ever get a chance to work with the specific dimensions... it seems
this is still the case but a background bitmap is still cached
somewhere?  Where can I get a hold of that bitmap object?

I tried writing a proof of concept sample for myself, basically th
widget layout was a frame layout with a imageView set to fill parent
for both width and height... I created a bitmap of a small size
(40x40) and set the widgets image view to this bitmap via
removoteView.setImageViewBitmap(), i then went back to update the
widget 1 minute later and my bitmap object had not been scaled at
all...

Can anyone help me out with this?  Romain maybe?

I have a few ideas that require this ability so any help is appreciated