The SMS protocol allows for "fragmented SMS delivery", where one long
message
is splitted into several SMS packets sent to the wire (each one charged
separately,
of course :-))

This involves setting a "fragment bit" in the packet, as well as filling an
optional
header with fragment index+count and other information. The Android GSM
stack
should be able to re-assemble these properly.

When you talk about the other hand, what device is this ?