I think "idea" and "app" are quite different. I think you can only
register and "idea" using a patent (and even with no prototype in the
states :S). See, for example, the Apple patent on multitouch devices.

It's really anoying as patents were born to protect people who had the
ideas but not the money to build them and nowadays, as registering a
patent is show expensive, it only helps big companies to ban competence
from smaller ones :P