Woot! I got it working. I tried before with the service set to
"reader" but I got a SecurityException thrown even though I had the
permission in the manifest.

However, if you leave the service null in the getCredentials call and
add the permission
com.google.android.googleapps.permission.GOOGLE_AUTH.OTHER_SERVICES to
the manifest then it works!

Thanks for the help Sujay. I was working at this for a long time!