AFAIK,  The Android MapView only supports satellite and map view
tiles.

I did come across a thread on this forum earlier some one asking for
custom tiles, and also noted that a feature request was going to put
in. Not sure if that ever happened ?!!

But I came across this project on google code that is a full/free
replacement for the MapView class.

http://code.google.com/p/osmdroid/

Look at the code and this may help u get ideas on how to implement
your own tiles as well.

-
Kiran