It has to reload the page every time, by default, because the default
action for an activity dealing with a configuration (including
orientation) change is for it to be destroyed and restarted.  That can
be overridden, though, by specifying an android:configChange attribute
for the activity in your manifest file.  My uses of WebView so far
don't involve any forms where keyboard input would be required, so
I've been able to specify "orientation|keyboardHidden" for that
attribute without having to do anything special with config change
notifications.  The WebView widget handles re-wrapping text and images
based on view size.