Unless of course one has a sensor simulator :-)
http://code.google.com/p/openintents/wiki/SensorSimulator

(I should mention that we did not have time yet to upgrade it to SDK
1.5, but some people already got this to work in the 1.5 emulator).

I'd say simulating the sensors in this way can be quite useful if one
wants to work out the basic trigonometric relations (which vectors
correspond to which orientation, etc.), just as it is useful to test
touch interfaces in the emulator with the mouse, or to think through a
user interface with pen and pencil.

Of course, nothing replaces testing on the real device in the end.

Peli
www.openintents.org