Implementing a clock widget with seconds as an AppWidget would be
/extremely/ inefficient.  The update code would be creating a new
RemoteViews object, and marshaling it across two IPC boundaries every
second.

The best way to write something like this would be to integrate it
directly into a custom home screen, so you could bypass the IPC costs
and only invalidate when the home activity is actively being shown.

--
Jeff Sharkey
jshar...@android.com