I think at some point the plan was to throw BC out and implement all
the crypto stuff using OpenSSL which is also on the device and should
be faster than the pure java impls in BC. (this might still be the
plan, not sure though)

Also BC is huge and was already reduced in size by throwing out many
algorithms due to space restrictions. (Can be seen in the
BouncyCastleProvider that should register all the algorithms)

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/dalvik.git;a=blob_plain;f=libcore/security/src/main/java/org/bouncycastle/jce/provider/BouncyCastleProvider.java;hb=HEAD

I don't think this crippled BC will be part of the api.

Someone who needs algorithms from BC would have to include it with the
app. I guess this would fail right now. This makes it much harder to
use BC stuff that has been dropped in the current BC version included
in the core libs. Dropping BC from the core libs would fix this
problem.

-- Urs