Hi !

I am currently working with this great Google Maps API.

The MapView Javadoc says that we should not use getZoomControls (which
is deprecated), but rather setBuiltInZoomControls instead.

I think the idea behind this change is to have all Google Maps based
applications to behave the same way, so that users don't get lost.

However, the really weird thing about this is that "Google Maps"
application doesn't behave the same way:

On a MapView, the zoom controls are big, in the center. They appear
when the user tap the screen, and disappear after a while.
In Google Maps, the zoom controls are smaller, on the left corner, and
never disappear.

Why is that ?

In fact, I think "Google Maps" approach is actually better when you
have maps with a lot of "content" in overlays. If you have a map full
of items that react when you tap on them (for instance by showing a
dialog box), there is no way to show the zoom controls without
actually tapping on an item.

I guess that's were the displayZoomControls method comes in the game:
one could provide a menu item that would show the ZoomControls on
request, for some time.

But this behavior is kind of strange: a user would try to find
"somewhere" in the map with no item, try to tap, tap on an item
unintentionally, see a dialog shown that he didn't ask for, press
back, then press menu and finally hit the "show zoom controls"
button...

What do you think is the best for the user ?

Regards,
Piwaï