The problem with .NET is it changes too quickly and may not be well
suited to phones which require a stable core OS.

I have worked extensively on all versions of .NET from 1.0 to 3.5 and
every time a new update comes out, all the libraries have changed and
in the case of Silverlight, most of the framework has been binned!

.NET is great for cutting edge desktop / web solutions, but I can't
see how it would work for phones when Microsoft keep telling us to
scrap everything we learned before.

Making the jump from .NET to Java is very easy and I don't think Java
should put off too many .NET developers (it didn't for me).