I take it you don't already have a bg thread, or you wouldn't have the
problem?

The cute way of loading data in the background is to use a service.
The simple way is to use a Handler, as Peter suggested. In the handler
task, you create a new thread that does the http stuff. If the user
needs to wait for the data to display anyway, I think  you can prevent
the timeout from happening by using a progress bar.