I have a server application listening on port 5001 on an anroid dev
phone. The client application running on my laptop tries to send data
to the server application.

The client can successfully connect and send data to the server
machine when the phone has wifi enabled. The command to do this is -
iperf -c <ip address of wifi interface>

But when I enable the 3G connection and try to send data then it
fails.
iperf -c <ip address of the 3G interface>

I cannot even ping the <ip address of the 3G interface>.  Is there any
port blocking enforced in case of external 3G network connection. Can
anyone please tell me how can I send data to the server application on
3G network. Is there any specific port on which the server application
should be listening??