I got this to work with addrule and RelativeLayout.LayoutParams

        // center my_textbox
        RelativeLayout.LayoutParams params_center = new
RelativeLayout.LayoutParams(LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT,
LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT);
        params_center.addRule(RelativeLayout.CENTER_IN_PARENT);

        // add my_textbox
        l.addView(my_textbox, params_center);

You could do this similarly with all types of dynamic view additions
(given appropriate rules) so far as I can tell.

Thanks guys.