...or maybe I am just missing something?

I have a service and would like that service to keep up with the
user's current location. I don't have any particular requirements in
terms of accuracy etc.

So I am looping over the list of all providers, and registering a
listener for each. I thought this would be preferable to just
listening to whatever getBestProvider() returns, since regardless of
state changes that may happen in the background (say the user disables
mine and enables a different provider), my service will still receive
updates.

GPS is making problems though, because it seems to *insist* on
delivering at least one location every time I registered the listener,
even though I have set both minTime and minDistance to high values. If
I'm for example currently indoors, it will keep trying forever.

I basically just want to know too when a new location becomes
available, for whatever reason that may be (possible be because some
other app is using GPS), but if not, then that's fine too.

There currently doesn't seem to be a way to do this - or is there?