I had the same problem and found my sources at
http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm
. Ed Williams goes into detail on great circle navigation. I took his
formulas for distance between points and true course and translated
them into PHP.  Projecting a point is given as well.  The translated
PHP formulas calculate the same numbers as my Garmin 76cxs.
 Regards, Tom Birchmire