in your res/drawable folder, put an xml that contains (sample.xml):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<selector xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
    <item android:state_focused="true" android:state_pressed="false"
android:drawable="@drawable/focused" />
    <item android:state_focused="true" android:state_pressed="true"
android:drawable="@drawable/focusedpressed" />
    <item android:state_focused="false" android:state_pressed="true"
android:drawable="@drawable/pressed" />
    <item android:drawable="@drawable/defaultbutton" />
</selector>

then on your button, use this xml as your background.
(background="@drawable/sample")

check out this tutorial from anddev.org about selectors

http://www.anddev.org/tinytutcustom_button_backgrounds-better_imagebutton-t4298.html

-Marc