On Aug 27, 10:24 am, Moma <osm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It takes 35 seconds to cold start the emulator and acitivity from the
> Eclipse IDE.

Likely faster than cold booting an actual phone

> It takes 12 seconds to reload the acitivity when emulator is already
> up & running.

Not significantly different from a hardware device either

> Do you think these numbers are normal?
> Is there any possibility to speed up the emulation speed of QEMU?

You could use an x86 build of android running in a hypervisor-type
virtual machine (VirtualBox, etc) so that the processor itself doesn't
have to be emulated except when doing privileged/system things...
that's how the palm pre development kit handles things.  I think it's
good that the android emulator is closer to current devices for
accuracy in testing, but when just iterating over software issues
having something that's faster (even unrealistically fast compared to
any existing phone) would be handy.

Actually, I keep thinking it should be possible to have a davlik
environment running within an ordinary desktop linux, though you might
have to do something like run everything under the current UID which
would grossly break the security model...