I'm obviously missing something, as I thought the Thread would be the
only thing holding onto the old Activity (as it is now).  When the
Thread dies, the old activity would be garbage collected (as it does
now).  All forwarding would be done via the Activity class.

I tried to extend Activity to write it myself, however, methods like
showDialog and dismissDialog are marked as final, and I couldn't pass
the old Activity into the Bundle on the onSaveInstanceState as Bundle
doesn't allow attaching of objects.