On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 7:13 AM, David Given<d...@cowlark.com> wrote:

> I would like my app to start an email app such as GMail with an attached
> file.
>
> For various technical reasons we can't use a file: URL for this --- we
> have to pull the file out of our ContentProvider. So, I need some way to
> make a content: URL behave as if it were a file.

You can implement openFile() in your content provider to return a
FileDescriptor for that content Uri. This is what pretty much every
content provider does for things like this.

> We've got it *nearly* working; I can see GMail call query() on my
> ContentProvider, followed shortly by GMail crashing because I'm not
> providing the right fields in the cursor.

A Cursor is not a file, so not sure what you're trying to do here.

> The thing is --- what's GMail expecting to see? I can't find any
> documentation on this. I have found ContentProvider#getAssetFile(),
> which appears to be related, but it doesn't seem to being called. What I
> get is:
>
> E/CursorWindow(  848): Bad request for field slot 0,1. numRows = 1,
> numColumns = 1

Something is trying to get the 2nd column from a Cursor that has only 1 column.