I believe it's a flaw in the API -- the status bar state is controlled by
the top-most full screen opaque activity.  A translucent activity can't
control it, because the point of it is to nicely composite on top of
whatever is beneath it, and that thing beneath it may not be prepared to
have the status bar disappear on it.  So this theme shouldn't exist.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.