For the headset you have to find out whether a headset is connected
over USB (if you use a G1 or myTouch) that's why you can find the
HeadsetObserver class in the framework.

In case of the speaker an Observer is not required because it is an
internal hardware component which you cannot enable/disable or unplug
as a device.

With setRouting you can set a more complex audio routing using a bit
mask which is not required to route your audio signal to the speaker.

--
Roman Baumgaertner
Sr. SW Engineer-OSDC