Running the "mount" command from a shell will likely show that /system
is mounted read-only as per default android setup, unless you've
changed that in the process of rooting the phone.  The exact syntax of
the (somewhat non-standard?) mount command to use for remounting it
read/write is not something I recall at the moment, but you'll find it
with some web searching.