cyril.at...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an application that updates all the contacts belonging to a
> group, I currently do the following :
> -> Get the group id
> -> Get all the contacts id inside this group
> -> For each of them I am doing an update on the contact => This is
> really heavy and seems to take time in real phones while I expect it
> to be "instantaneous".
>
> I am wondering if we can, in the ContentResolver.update() method
> specify a kind of join.
> For instance I'd like to do something like :
> UPDATE <people> SET <people.name>="<new name>" FROM People p,
> GroupsMemberships gm WHERE p.person_id=gm.person_id and
> gm.group_id=<my_group_id>
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible or not?

Not that I am aware of. Bear in mind that not all content providers will
be using a SQL database as the place of data storage.

Since the contacts content provider does appear to use SQLite, rather
than iterating over your contacts, though, you could try the IN syntax
in the WHERE-style constraint:

[WHERE] person_id IN (...)

where ... is a comma-delimited set of values, or possibly even a
sub-select to get the IDs of the contacts to update.

http://sqlite.org/lang_expr.html

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Looking for Android opportunities? http://wiki.andmob.org/hado