This one works for me:

performHapticFeedback( HapticFeedbackConstants.LONG_PRESS,
HapticFeedbackConstants.FLAG_IGNORE_GLOBAL_SETTING );

I remember having trouble getting other things to work.

Fortunately I only use Haptic Feedback with a long press, otherwise
the Code Cops might come calling.

If really want to be hauled in front of a judge you can use the
Vibrator service directly.

Lee