I think you mean that each app should define some internal constant
and recompile for release (and not use the Config constants) ? Is that
right?

Is there a conventional property or mechanism that the Log class uses
for isLoggable() method?

The 1.6 release notes (API diff) says that all the Config constants
EXCEPT DEBUG are deprecated.  The 1.6 javadoc does not indicate the
deprecation at all - so not clear how a developer would notice the
deprecation.