SensorManager's getRotationMatrix() and getOrientation() methods are
interesting to look at. You can see their implementation here:
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/hardware/SensorManager.java;h=bf945ec7bae33525decaeed3067266719b977303;hb=donut-release#l1059
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=blob;f=core/java/android/hardware/SensorManager.java;h=bf945ec7bae33525decaeed3067266719b977303;hb=donut-release#l1272

Inputs are acceleration and magnetic readings for the first method and
the results of it for the second. I wonder what the difference is
between using those methods and using Sensor.TYPE_ORIENTATION, though.
The docs note the former is more accurate, but not why:
http://developer.android.com/intl/fr/reference/android/hardware/SensorEvent.html#values