Android supports some intents about network connection change. In your
onReceive method listen for this network connection changes and check
connectivity with

        NetworkInfo networkInfo = connection.getActiveNetworkInfo();

(at least this works for me .... when for example the app loses
connectivity it tries to reestablish connectivity on Wifi (preferred
interface) and then cellular)

If you are one cellular your are going to lose data connectivity if
you are not using the data interface. You might want to send out some
dummy packets to keep cellular connectivity alive (for example doing a
ping to a well known address).

--
Roman Baumgaertner
Sr. SW Engineer-OSDC