First off, thank you for approaching the dev community (I assume to
speak for the rest here...)

Question (cc to androidsupp...@htc.com, for reference: this is a
response to your post in the Android Developers group):
After devs exhaust the tools and resources that Donut offers, and
access to a physical device is still needed to appropriately test the
apps for the different screen sizes (and potentially other behavioral
changes outside of that aspect) - does HTC offer a path to such
devices outside of having to purchase the devices outright?
Example: Augmented Reality apps rely on sensor inputs that DDMS does
not seem to support, at least at this point (Outside of that, it's a
pain to work with DDMS/emulators to begin with). At the current price
point of the average app, it takes a considerable amount of executed
sales to recover that potential cost, to a degree that the acquisition
of the various devices to perpetuate the app beyond the current set of
devices cannot be justified. (Assuming the dev is unwilling to go into
the hole on an ongoing basis).