First, you do not have to start/stop a service from a Activity. You
can
do that in anywhere via a Context object(which is very easy to
retrieve).

  If you want to start a service, just call Context.startService(),
form
then on the service will keep running in background until you
explicitly
call Context.stopService(). Then call Context.bindService() if you
want
to control the service and Context.unbindService() when you do not
want to communicate with the service anymore.

  Finally, Call Context.stopService() to terminate the service when it
is
not needed.

  ps: Though a service runs in "background", it runs in the main(UI)
thread.