I updated the code as following. However, now I see that the display
is not updated with the text. Am I missing something?

    static String linkUrl = "http://www.google.com";;

    String dataText;

        @Override
        protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        Log.d(TAG, "OnCreate begins");
                super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.notes_fetch);
        new HttpConnect1().execute();
        }

    private class HttpConnect1 extends AsyncTask<Void, Void, Void>
    {
        @Override
        protected Void doInBackground(Void... nulls)
        {
                try {
                        URL connectURL = new URL(linkUrl);
                        HttpURLConnection conn = (HttpURLConnection)
connectURL.openConnection();
                        DataInputStream dis = new DataInputStream
(conn.getInputStream
());
                        byte[] data = new byte[1024];
                        int len = dis.read(data, 0, 1024);
                        dataText = new String(data, 0, len);
                        dis.close();
                        conn.disconnect();
                }
                catch(Exception e) {
                        Log.e(TAG, "Exception getting HTTPResponse");
                        return null;
                }
                return null;
        }

        @Override
        protected void onPostExecute(Void nothing)
        {
                TextView bodyText = (TextView) findViewById
(R.id.android_fetchtext);
                bodyText.setText(dataText);
        }
    }