Hi All,

I have a requirement to turn the screen display on and off from a Android
Service. I should have a function SwitchScreenDisplay (ON/OFF), to ON or OFF
the display.

I searched through the SDK and found a few APIs and settings. One method I
found is
boolean err =
android.provider.Settings.Secure.putInt(myThis.getContentResolver(),
Settings.System.SCREEN_OFF_TIMEOUT, 1);

But it gave the following security permission exception [03-14 21:24:41.575:
ERROR/DatabaseUtils(1066): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission denial:
writing to secure settings requires android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS]
even though I had added the following statement in
AndroidMenifestFile.xml <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"></uses-permission>

So my question is:
- Was the above method is the right way to SWITCH OFF the screen
- How does the LONG END KEY press, switches/powers off the display? Which
API it calls?
- How to SWITCH on? Is it using the PowerManager wakelock?

I appreciate and thankful for your time.

Regards,
-Arun