I've tested the scenario where a service crosses paths with an app,
i.e. both request location provider updates following different levels
of location provider availability, as requested by zero and non-zero
values of minTime.

The mapping of location provider requests appears such that the
process with the "highest" level of GPS receiver availability trumps
everything else, for the benefit of the process that operates with
minTime values>0. In other words, a foreground app receives and keeps
at a mimimum the location provider settings it requested. Or a
"better" level yet, if the service keeps the location provider running
(through minTime=0). This aspect looks "clean" after all, good.