Hi,

I'm rather new to Android, so please bear with me.

I'm developing an application running a service in the background. The
service is ONLY supposed to run when requested somewhere in the UI.
The service must be able to be stopped through the UI as well.

At the same time, while running, the service must be able to pick up
intents such as "intent.action.DATA_SMS_RECEIVED" and
"intent.action.NEW_OUTGOING_CALL".

How do I go about this?

1. How to initially start the service? startService(intent) called
from the UI right?
2. How to stop it again? How do I get a hold of it when it's time to
stop it.
3. Should I register af Receiver to the service to catch the mentioned
intents? And so, where to do this? Can I catch intents directly in the
service?

Thanks in advance!