Tabibito wrote:
> I'm a total newbie to Android (and to Java in general... mostly a PERL/
> PHP guy here...), so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology to
> refer to things... I have been asked by my company to implement an
> application for Android that allows a user to enter a note at the end
> of every call.  E.g., either they or the other party hangs up,
> immediately a notes area pops up with a "save" button and if they
> enter a note, the note is saved with a reference to the call log
> entry.  As I understand it, onCallStateChange() will give a pretty
> good indicator of a hangup if the state has become
> TelephonyManager.CALL_STATE_IDLE.  I've figured out how to do the UI
> part, how to save it in a database, etc... My question, however, is
> about how I implement this "listening" aspect of it.
>
> Should I have a service running all the time that has an instance of
> android.telephony.PhoneStateListener?

Unfortunately, yes. I really wish there were broadcast Intents for this.

> If so, do I use the onBind or
> onStart method

Probably onStart(), and probably triggered by a BroadcastReceiver set up
to run when the phone gets booted, I would imagine. You can find an
example of setting up an on-boot BroadcastReceiver here:

http://github.com/commonsguy/cw-advandroid/tree/master/SystemEvents/OnBoot/

> and how do I make sure it doesn't go away when memory
> runs low?

You can't, though Android is supposed to restart your service in this
case, once memory has freed up.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books