gudujarlson wrote:
> I have an app that runs in the background indefinitely provided there
> is work to be done. I want the app to go to sleep if there is no work
> to be done and the user is idle.

What does the user being idle have to do with anything here? If there is
no work to be done, there is no work to be done, so stop your service
and wake it up after some time to see if there is new work to be done.

> What am I to do?

Don't worry about "user idleness". Just stop your service and get it out
of RAM when you have no work to do. Restart the service after a period
of time, or based on some other event trigger, to see if there is new
work to do.

> In general, I find the lack of support for polling system state
> properties (e.g. screen state, power state, signal strength) in
> Android to be annoying. It's cool that one can listen for changes in
> system state rather than constantly polling for them, but one still
> needs to know the current state of the property at the time the
> listener is registered. Am I missing something fundamental?

Power is available on demand via a sticky Intent.

WiFi signal strength is available on demand via WifiManager.

GSM/CDMA signal strength is available on demand from TelephonyManager.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in Germany, 18-22 January 2010: http://bignerdranch.com