I've seen 3-4 different people ask some variation of this question in
these forums.  It seems like a very common question/need.
I'd like to see this specific topic addressed in part of the Dev
Guide, with various uses cases and proper solutions.

Pankaj, regarding your specific application:

Approach 2 sounds more sensible because the application is decoupled
from the data.
You could change the data without affecting the application, and vice
versa.
You could even take this modular approach a step further and allow
installation of pluggable, multiple databases.
For example, maybe db1 has Bible verses, db2 has Chinese fortunes, db3
has funny movie quotes, etc.
People could choose to install only the database(s) that they care
about.
(With approach 1, you would have to include all databases in the apk
file, which could become cumbersome.)

My two cents.  :)
-- PJ