Don't create a new intent for the main GUI.  Just call finish()
instead.

Also, if you want your main menu Activity to detect this event and do
anything special when it comes back to it, it can override
onActivityResult().

I'm leaving out some details such as howto return a result
(RESULT_OK), how to pass a Bundle on info back to the main menu if
desired, etc.

But if you do the Notepad tutorial, it teaches this concept well:
http://developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/notepad/index.html

Hope this helps!
-- PJ